Monday, April 6, 2009

My thoughts on Conference

I just wanted to take a minute to jot down some of the things I have been thinking about since Conference.
First of all I want to say that I love my kids!!! They were really quite good at listening yesterday. We always play the conference bingo game and Jaden was bound and determined to get a blackout. He didn't even move the whole first session. He was a little less still during the afternoon session, but he still was good. By the end he had every square covered on his game card except Word of Wisdom! All my kids were just so good. Tt was so nice that I could sit and listen without having to keep playing referee, or activities chairman. Because of this, I actually remember some of the talks and counsel we were given. I don't have to wait until the ensign comes out to know what conference was about, although I do look forward to reading through the talks.
I was very impressed by Elder Holland's talk about what Christ went through. About how the Spirit had to be withdrawn from Christ for a moment so that He would be able to know what it felt like for those who loose the Spirit. That he had to know how it felt to be completely alone. Even Christ didn't realize how hard his sacrifice was going to be, but he did it willingly for us anyway.
Travis mentioned that he especially liked the message President Uchtdorf gave at the Priesthood session. He talked about how we can easily focus on things that are not important, and become so focused on them that we don't realize other things may be going wrong until it is too late. He shared an example of this when some pilots were trying to land a plane and the landing gear light didn't go on so they thought that the landing gear was not working. They started circling over the airport while they focused only on the light not being on. Actually the landing gear had worked and was ready for them to land, the light had simple burned out. However, they were so focused on the light that they didn't realize that they got too close to the ground and flew right into the ground. Over 100 people died, it is one of the worst aviation accident in our history.
We need to be sure to focus on what is really important. In these troubled times it is so easy to become focused on what is going wrong in the world, and to obsess about the future of our country and the economy. We need to be sure to remember what President Monson said, that "our future is a bright as our faith is". So we need to be focused on our spritual progression and how bright our faith is. If we do this, everything else will be alright. I am so grateful we have the chance to hear the Lords counsel for our time. It brings me such peace in troubled times.

5 comments:

BJ said...

I also loved Elder Holland's talk - WOW!!

Thornton Family said...

Heidi, thank you for your thoughts!! I, too, LOVED Elder Holland's talk. Even my kids were able to follow along since we've been doing that 12 days of Easter with them. They're really learning (and remembering) what happened to Jesus and how grateful they are for him basically taking our punishment for us. I look forward to reading President Uchtdorf's address. It sounds like it was AWESOME!!

Love you!

kevin said...

It is no secret that I liked Elder Holland's talk, though I probably could have told you that I liked BEFORE he even gave it. His talks always seem to ring true to my understanding. His messages are always (for me) a perfect balance of doctrine, inspiration, story, and delivery.

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear as much as I would have liked to, because of work. However, I don't plan on waiting for the Ensign. I was up late Saturday and Sunday making sure we posted all (except the Priesthood session) of the talks online as MP3's (video files are soon to come...by the end of the next week hopefully) on lds.org
here:
http://lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-1032,00.html

These include the General Young Women Meeting. So if you want go download them and listen to them on your computer, mp3 player, iPod, or whatever you have. Burn them to a CD and listen to them in your car!
Okay, so now I feel like a commercial, but I am so excited that these resources are available. With my schedule I would much rather listen to them again than try and find time to read them. And they are already available to listen to so I thought I would share that with you all!

kat said...

Thank you...by Kevin Jones! :)

Conference was so great! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed so many of the talks this time and I was so thankful for good kids as well. President Monson's last address was also one of my favorites.

kevin said...

Just letting you know...the talks are now available in HTML format, so you can read them, or print them and mark them up. Just an FYI.

Thank you by Kevin Jones.

http://lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-1032,00.html